Monday, November 28, 2011

Beer Bread Bowls

Today, Huck turned the big 3-1!!  I decided to surprise him with an awesome Birthday present I found. :)

He really liked it. I gave him his real present later. I bought him a few polo shirts and the book Brewing up a Business by the founder of Dogfish Head.

For lunch, he wanted me to use the Spent Grains I dried last night. I decided to make bread bowls with Turkey Soup. I was out of yeast, so I used a recipe for beer bread I have. I do not know where I seen this recipe, but it is so easy. The original recipe only has 4 ingredients: Flour, Beer, Sugar, and Butter.

Beer Bread with Spent Grains
  • 3 Cups Self Rising Flour
  • 3 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 Cup Spent Grains
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 1 12oz Beer
  • 2 Tbsp Melted Butter 
    • Preheat oven to 350.
    • Mix first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. 
    • Add beer. Beer will foam up a little. 
    • Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll into a ball. 
    • Place on cookie sheet and rub with melted butter. 
    • Bake for 30-40 minutes. 
If making into a loaf, bake for 40-60 minutes. Also, this recipe can be made without the Spent Grains. This was my first time using them for this recipe.
*The bread was great right out of the oven, but it was very dense and chewy the next day. Just a heads up!  


I wanted a beer that was light in flavor for this recipe

Ready for the Soup

Easy Turkey and Rice Soup

  • 1 Cup Turkey-Cooked and Diced
  • 1/4 Cup Onion-Diced 
  • 1/4 Cup Carrot-Diced
  • 1/4 Cup Broccoli-Chopped
  • 3 Cup Chicken Stock
  • 1/3 Cup Rice
  • 1 Tsp Thyme
  • 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 Bay Leaf 
    • Saute onion and carrots. Add turkey, broccoli, stock, thyme, garlic, bay, and rice. 
    • Simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is done. 


Enjoying his new book by the pool

Huck surprised me with flowers and a card to wish me good luck on my new job tomorrow. He is the best!! 

Our crazy eyed puppy with is mohawk hair
Tomorrow, it's back to the real world. Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...