Sunday, January 8, 2012

Don't watch The Food Network when you're hungry

For breakfast this morning, I had an egg sandwich. They are so easy and keep me full for a while. Breakfast was followed with an orange I found in the fridge.

While I was working on my blog, I am trying to set up Food Buzz on my website, I had the TV on The Food Network. Guy Fieri was making Tuna Burgers with a Spicy Mayo. It is a bad idea to watch cooking shows when you are hungry. We decided to ride our bikes to Publix to pick up hamburger buns and green onions.

When we were walking in, the smell from the Apron's Simple Meals caught our attention. The Pub-Style Chicken and Caramelized Onions with Fresh Spinach was so good and of course after trying it, we had to buy the ingredients we needed to make it this week at home. Luckily we didn't need very much. I will take today's total from Publix out of next weeks food budget.

Asian Tuna Burgers
 Adapted from Guy Fieri

  • 1 Tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 Can Tuna in Water
  • 1/4 Cup Bell Pepper-Finely Diced 
  • 2 Scallions-Finely Chopped
  • 1/2 Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
  • Vegetable Oil, For Cooking
  • 4 Hamburger Buns
  • Spinach, Sliced Tomato, and Spicy Sauce (Recipe will follow) 
    • Add soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and eggs together. 
    • Mix in tuna, pepper, scallions, and Panko. 
    • Form mixture into 4 even patties, and set on a plate in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
    • Heat a large skillet over high heat. Coat with oil and cook patties 5 minutes per side.
    • Toast buns and top with tomato, spinach, and spicy sauce
Spicy Sauce
  • 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/8 Cup Sour Cream (I used Fat Free)
  • 1 tsp Hot Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Lime Juice
  • 1/2 tsp Honey
  • 2 Cooked Scallions- Chopped
    • Cook scallions and chop. 
    • Combine all ingredients together. 
Asian Slaw
  • 1/4 Head Cabbage- Chopped
  • 1/2 Bell Pepper- Sliced Thin
  • 2 Scallions- Sliced
  • 1 Medium Carrot- Grated
  • 1/2 Cup Golden Raisins 
  • 1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/8 Cup Sour Cream
  • 1/2 tsp Honey
  • 1/8 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
    • Mix together yogurt, sour cream, honey, and vinegar.
    • Add vegetables and mix everything together.
I used yogurt in the slaw because it was low in calories, but if I made this again, I would use mayo. The flavor would have been better and creamier. I also made an extra batch to freeze for quick meals during the week. I just formed the patties and placed them in the freezer.   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...