Friday, January 27, 2012

Healthy Fish Tacos?


Today, was a busy day. We went to Miami this morning, and I spent the rest of the day cleaning and organizing the house. Maybe not a busy day, but it went by really fast.

We have a fridge full of leftovers and can't waste food, so we have enjoyed a week of lazy dinners and leftovers. I posted a recipe from my old blog to make up for my lack of creativity this week.

Now it is time for bed. I have a few more things to do in the morning before we pick Nathan up at the airport.

Fish Tacos 


I used Sweetwater Sch'Wheat Beer for the batter. My fish is battered and bake in the oven instead of frying in oil. I only used a little cooking spray on the oven rack to prevent the fish from sticking. This is my attempt on healthier beer batter fish tacos. Enjoy!


   Sch'Wheat. My favorite beer. It adds a mild beer flavor. Not to over powering.


The beer batter with cumin, ground red pepper for heat, and chili powder.


The pieces of fish cooking in the oven. I used Mahi Mahi (it is firm and was on sale :)


Ingredients for my lite avocado cream sauce.  


Topping for tacos. I used the skin of the avocado to serve sauce. 

Oven Baked Beer Batter Fish Tacos

  • 1 lb. Fish (Firm white fish)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup beer 
  • 1 Tbsp Cumin
  • 1 Tbsp Chili powder
  • Ground Red Pepper to taste.
  • Corn Tortillas
  •  Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Avocado Sauce (see recipe)
  • Pepper Jack Cheese

  1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
  2. Mix 3/4 cup of flour with spices and add beer. 
  3. Toss fish in extra flour. 
  4. Coat fish in batter and remove excess. 
  5. Place battered fish on a lined cookie sheet (I cooked mine on a rack but even with cooking spray they stuck.)
  6. Cook for 10 minutes or until fish flakes and batter is crispy.
  7. Serve on corn tortillas with sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese. Black bean or rice make a nice side dish.   

Avocado Cream Sauce
  • 1 Avocado
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 Lime
  • Cilantro
  • JalapeƱo (I used two but we like our food hot)
  • Salt to taste

 Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Serve in the empty avocado shell.

Calories 
One serving 370 calories
One serving: one taco with one Tbsp sauce, one ounce fish, one corn tortillas, one Tbsp pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and 1/2 cup black beans (black beans 1/2 cup 110 calories). (This is an estimate)

I hope you try this recipe. It is really good!! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...