It was the perfect lazy day. Cloudy, with the occasional rain storm. I feel guilty laying around the house when it is so pretty outside. With the cloudy weather, there is no reason to feel guilty! We did go to Miami this morning, so today wasn't a complete waste. We enjoyed sushi in Boca Raton for lunch, also. I forgot to take pictures and the name. We were on our way to Olive Garden when Huck suggested Sushi. I am always up for Sushi!
For dinner, I made Farmers Soup (kind of like Minestrone Soup) and Apple Crisp. Between the two of us, we changed our dinner menu 10 times. It originally started out as lasagna then stuffed shells to stuffed shells soup, but we finally settled on a vegetable soup. We needed the extra veggies in our diet.
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Zucchini- Diced
- 1 Summer Squash- Diced
- 2 Carrots- Peeled and Diced
- 1/2 Onion- Diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic- Chopped
- 1/2 lb 99% Fat Free Ground Turkey- Browned
- 4 oz Mushrooms- Chopped
- 8 oz Frozen Spinach- Chopped
- 2 Cans Diced Stewed Italian Tomatoes
- 1 Can Cannelloni Beans- Drained
- 3 Cups Chicken Stock or Water
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Desired Amount of Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Large Parmesan Cheese Rind- I keep unused rind in the freezer. No waste :)
- 2 Tbsp Basil
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese for Garnish.
- 1/2 lb Pasta
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, squash, carrots, onions, and garlic to pan. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add browned ground turkey, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, stock, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, and Parmesan cheese.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low.
- Add pasta to soup and cook for 8 minutes or cook pasta separately.
- Serve with extra cheese, basil and garlic bread for dipping.
|The cheese rind and bay leaf.|
|Still not convinced I like mushrooms. I want to eat some stuffed mushrooms next!|
The pasta looks like wagon wheels. Goes with the farm theme.
- 2 Golden Delicious Apples
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Old Fashion Oats
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 Cup Pecans- Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter- Melted
- Peel, Slice, and Dice apples. Mix Apples and lemon together to prevent apples from turning brown.
- Mix apples with flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together oats, flour, pecans, sugar, and melted butter.
- Add apples to baking dish and top with oats.
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes.
- Serve hot alone or with ice cream.
|Apples and Sugar. Healthy Right?|
|One of my favorite desserts!|
|I am so messy! Everything was cleaned and washed before dinner was finished though.|
Check back in tomorrow to see what I do with some of the leftover crumble for the apple crisp! Goodnight!