Sunday, December 18, 2011

Love at first bite

When I met Huck, I was living with my parents at the time. We'd only been on a few dates when, I asked if he would like me to cook him dinner at my house (I do not know what I was thinking and thinking back on it now, I can't believe he said yes.)

At the time, I was unemployed, so I spent all day cleaning the house. I am not sure if I ever told him that, but I was SOOOO nervous. I was 22 living at home with my parents and invited I guy over, I just meet and only been out with a handful of times, to have dinner at my parents house!! Chris, as I called him then, is 5 years older then me and owned his own home where he lived with his two roommates. Here I was living with my parents unemployed. It made me full a little juvenile. But I did it anyways. 

A few weeks earlier, I made Carbonara for the first time for my friend, Jennifer. My version of Carbonara, anyways, so I decided since it turned out so good I would fix it for Huck. As I was starting dinner, he pulled up. Of course my mom was waiting very impatiently to interrogate him. As he was getting out of the truck, my mom asked how I meet him. I told her at a bar. She looked at me with a puzzled look on her face and said "And you are inviting him to our house?" It still makes me laugh. 

As I finished up dinner (this meal takes 10 minutes max), my mom asked Huck a million questions about everything. She knew more about him then I did. I'm sure he was relieved when I told him dinner was ready, and even happier when he seen what we were having.  

Little did I know when I made this dish, it has three of Huck's all time favorite foods. He loves shrimp. We cook it at least once a week. Bacon. He puts it on almost everything. And crusted red pepper. He really puts it on everything. At that moment, he knew I was a keeper. 

After dinner, I decided to spare him from my mom, so we rode over to the lake and talked until it got dark. 

That is our story behind this dish. The meal that made Huck fall in love with me. 

Carbonara 
  • 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4 lb Pancetta Thick Cut- Chopped (Italy Bacon)
  • 3-4 Cloves Garlic-Minced 
  • 1 Tbsp Crushed Red Pepper (I like mine spicy. Add more or less depending on your taste)
  • 1 lb Dried or Fresh Pasta of Choice 
  • 1 Egg Yolk
  • 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese-Grated
  • 1/2 lb Shrimp
    • Cook pasta according to package directions
    • Heat EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) over medium heat. 
    • Add chopped pancetta. I like my pancetta a little crispy and find if I add the garlic before it will burn.
    • Add garlic and crusted red pepper.
    • Add egg yolk to a bowl and mix in parmesan cheese.
    • Place shrimp in with pancetta flipping when they start to turn pink on the underside.   
    • Before draining the pasta, add 2-3 ladles of hot pasta water to egg yolk slowly. Stir as you add the water. This is called tempering and will prevent the yolk from scrambling when you add it to the pan. 
    • Add cooked pasta to the pancetta and stir in the egg yolk and cheese sauce. 
      • Serve with more parmesan cheese, grilled vegetables, and crusty bread.  





The first time he met my mom was a lot better then when I met his, by the way. Huck told me his mom was on her way to his house one morning, so I was trying to leave before she arrived. As he was walking me to my car, she pulled up. How embarrassing? She seemed very happy to meet me, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...