Friday, December 30, 2011

RIP Computer

Me and my computer had a lot of good times together. It allowed me to lay in my comfortable bed to play on the internet, I stayed connected to family while I was in Italy, and provided me hundreds of hours of Facebooking, Pinteresting, and blog stalking. My laptop was 6 years old and still worked better then Huck's computer he bought a few months ago. I will really miss him! I am just hoping I can find my junk drive I saved all my pictures on a few months ago when I though it was dying. Guess it is time for a new one :)

For breakfast I made egg sandwiches.


I fried an egg and topped it with a slice of cheese and two slices of ham. I toasted the outside of the beard for a little extra crunch. The strawberry jelly is a must too. I like Publix brand Strawberry No Sugar Added Preserves. Only 25 calories a tablespoon.    


For lunch, we went to Casa Cuba. I read a lot of good reviews about the food, so we decided we would try it out since the Italian Restaurant I wanted to try isn't open for lunch. 

Huck ordered the Milanesa De Pollo. It was a breaded chicken breast with ham and cheese. Kind of like Chicken Cordon Bleu. It came with three sides. Huck picked yellow rice, black beans and fried plantains. The chicken was a little dry but tasted ok.  


I ordered the 1/2 Cuban Sandwich and bowl of Chicken Noodle soup. The sandwich was good, but the soup was really greasy.

I still ate it all though.

Even though the food was ok, we will not be going back again. Our waitress disappeared after we finished our lunch and we waited over 30 minutes to pay. We thought about just leaving a few times. Dine and Dash.

After lunch, we stopped at Publix for food for New Years Day. The traditional Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens. Publix also had their Pork Tenderloins on sale for $1.99lb. We bought a 12 lb piece of meat for $24. I asked them to cut it down to 2 lb roast, and when we came home I cut two of the roast into pork chops. We have 6 meals and each one will make lots of leftovers. It was a great deal.


For dinner, I didn't make anything with pork surprisingly. We made our Chili Gumbo. It was a great use of leftovers.  

Chili Gumbo
  • 1/2 lb Ground Turkey (I used leftover taco meat with peppers, onions, and corn already added)
  • 1 Can Ro Tel
  • 1/2 Onion-Diced
  • 1/2 Cup Corn
  • 1 Yellow Pepper-Diced
  • 1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
  • 1 Can Kidney Beans
  • 8 oz Cut Okra (optional 
  • 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp Ground Red Pepper (depending on how hot you like your food)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
    • Brown meat in a pan with a little cooking spray, onions, and peppers. 
    • Add all the other ingredients and simmer for at least 30 minutes. 
      • Serve with chips or cornbread and sour cream and cheese.
This recipe can be cooked in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. If you use the slow cooker brown the meat first.

I love all the different colors
I bought these tortillas chips at Whole Foods. I thought they were cute for Christmas. 

I do not remember exactly how the okra made it into the chili. I think I had some frozen okra in the freezer and just threw it in. I have added black beans, navy beans fresh tomatoes, and fire roasted corn in the past, also. It is a great way to clean out the freezer and use up any leftover ground meat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...